Friday, July 24, 2009

Mental workout

I had to give myself a stern talking to and mentally slap my hand last night, but I made it through.

We had people over for dinner and the beer a couple were drinking looked mighty good. My own fault for picking up Dos Equis - one of my favorites - and making crap iced tea that didn't satisfy. It was fine as long as people were in the house, but I missed sitting down in the chair with a beer and a sigh at the end of the evening. So much so that I kept eyeing Matt's beer and half-hoping he'd get up to use the bathroom so I could take a swig.

I'd counter that with Hell no you won't, and knew if I had even the smallest amount I could not in good conscience put a check mark on the calendar for the day. The mental back and forth was a good opportunity to ask myself some questions. Why now? What's different? If you had one, would a taste suffice? One beer? Two? Are you thirsty? Are you antsy? Aha! You're antsy. Well, a beer isn't going to fix that and you'd regret it. Not that you couldn't have a sip and go to bed, but you would regret that sip and for what? A taste you don't need.

Having a drink wasn't going to help me feel good or relaxed. It wasn't going to go clothes shopping for me or do the dishes or give me good dreams, so I bowed to logic and told myself to breathe and get over it.

3 comments:

Lj said...

Outstanding.

Adamity73 said...

Good deal, for sure. I was eyeing the beer, too, but I abstained for a couple of reasons: One, I had to drive home (though babydoll ended up driving) and, two, I knew you weren't drinking, were probably struggling, and I would have felt like a shitheel had I drank.

The one thing you HAVE to remember, though, is that you're taking the 'Buse. You don't--if you have taken the pill in the morning or the afternoon--want to fuck with that. A sip may not hurt you, but what if you had a full beer? Sweating, headache, nausea, heart palpitations...you have to be damned sure the shit's out of your system before you chance it.

But, yes, there would be that feeling of "Well, not today. Fuck" that you'd experience.

You're on a roll right now, M___. Keep it up. I am very proud of you.

Mel said...

Thanks, Lori. Working on it! Feeling better tonight now that I'm more prepared for tomorrow.

Don't worry, Adam, I'm not forgetting! It's been a Godsend and makes it much easier to talk myself off the ledge, so to speak. I figured a sip would be okay (I take it in the morning) but to what purpose? It would have been worthless and even if my body felt fine I'd have been smacking myself up one side of my head and down the other. I don't want some lousy no-good sip fucking up my streak :) I want that check mark! Thanks for the support and for abstaining on my account, and I hope you did that for your own account also. I am proud of you too and love you very much.

P.S. You can use my name. We're all friends here. Love, Melissa