Saturday, July 18, 2009

Clever poo pun title

I don't care if you're crapping your pants every five minutes, stay on the Antabuse and take Kaopectate!

Those were my words when a certain someone complained about experiencing stomach upset and diarrhea while on Antabuse. Oh hello there, Humble Pie! May I eat a nice big slice of you?

The first visit to the bathroom was normal and satisfying and I had a moment to think Oh good! Yesterday was iffy but maybe my body is used to this now. Every half hour since I've been racing back to the bathroom. A couple times I left only to turn back before even reaching the kitchen.

Eight separate visits in three hours. You'd think I'd be crapped out by now, but I hear a distant gurgle so I'm staying close to home except to run out for some Kaopectate. And Pepto-Bismol. And Immodium-AD.

I hope things are back to normal by Monday.

********
As of noon, no problem.

I found a medical article on gastrointestinal disturbances with Antabuse, and although the study group was small, 7 of 8 people had complete turnaround (8th person reported significant improvement) by eating a high fiber cereal for breakfast, taking two teaspoonfuls of olive oil an hour before lunch, and then taking the pill with lunch. I've already decided to stagger the cyclosporine and Antabuse to see if some of the reaction has been due to taking them at the same time, but I think I'll add a little olive oil with the cyclosporine at 7:00 and then take the Antabuse at 8:00 with breakfast. In searching, I ran across other articles about the effectiveness of Antabuse, and they all said people who are highly motivated do well, which was heartening because I think I'll be even more motivated when I know the work week won't involve running off down the hall for half the morning.

No comments: