Saturday, July 18, 2009

Keeping busy

It's very easy to waste time when you're drinking. The hours slip by while you're reading or napping, and before you know it, the day is done and nothing much got accomplished. The leftover beer in the fridge caught my eye this morning, but since I couldn't pop one open at noon and get on the computer or sit in the front room with a book and a drink before taking a nap, I cleaned out the garage instead.

It started simply enough with moving the wheel-less wheelbarrow out to the street for anyone who wanted it. We've had it for seven years and haven't managed to put a wheel on it, so I figured it was time to give someone else a chance. I had to move a couple items to get to it, and I noticed dried out leaves underneath. Before I knew it, I had cleared everything from that section to sweep it out, and it snowballed from there. I organized shelves, wiped the dust from tools, and cleaned the bikes, lawnmower, and tacklebox.

I cleared the broken shop-vac and power washer from the garage, hauled out a roll of chainlink fencing, and with every item that was evaluated and either kept or tossed, I felt more and more in charge.

Just as I was finishing up, Matt came home and grilled up the steaks and corn I picked up this morning. Dinner seemed like a delicious reward after putting in a good day's work.

Today was a fine day.

Tomorrow, the basement gets its due.

3 comments:

Lj said...

I just wanted to say that I am very proud of you, I've read all of the posts already (I've caught myself up), and am with you every step of the way in any way you need me. I love you very much.

Mel said...

Thanks, sweetie. I love you too.

aleximac said...

hurray!