Saturday, August 1, 2009

Hallelujah

Success!

Two movies, two beers last night. It felt absolutely natural and normal and there was no urge to have more. After the movies were over, I read, took a bath, read some more, and then went to bed when I got tired.

There have been so many benefits from not drinking over the last two and a half weeks, and I want them to continue. I have lost weight, regained trust in myself, felt more capable and taken more of an interest in my appearance. I feel good.

I have a pretty strict idea of what constitutes reasonable and unreasonable drinking. If I continue on the path of reasonable drinking, fantastic. If I find myself wanting one more and one more, it's back to complete abstinence with no excuses.

This feels different than before.

2 comments:

Adamity73 said...

Well, I congratulate you, Melly.

=o)

It is not an easy thing to consider. I think you did a great job by simply stepping up to the plate and holding yourself accountable. That, in itself, is success. And then two-and-a-half weeks of total abstinence? Great job!

We all love you and want you happy and healthy and carefree.

Mel said...

Thanks, Adam. I am still going to keep an eye on myself and don't want drinking during the week or excessive drinking on the weekends. If I can have a couple of drinks on a weekend night, great. If I find myself slipping in more than is reasonable, I'm done with it. I want to be happy and healthy and carefree :)

I have Antabuse and am not afraid to use it.

The shit is a Godsend, seriously. Taking it in the morning when resolve is at its strongest, and what do you know? No drinking that day!