Saturday, May 22, 2010

And counting

I've thought of drinking this past week, but mostly in the sense of so I don't need to keep that up anymore? Nope. You sure don't.

It's been harder to fall asleep, but that should pass soon. When I do get to sleep, it feels more restful than before (and it is, it seems) and I'm less tired during the day, so it all evens out and it gets a little easier each night.

I felt a nudge last night driving home from my friend's house, but I thought it through and kept driving. The thoughts lasted all of a block and a half. That's been the worst of it, and that I can deal with. Think. Keep driving. Revisit it later if need be, but for right now? I don't want it.

Overall, I'm (very happily) surprised at how slight a pull alcohol has exerted this past week. It's been on the table at bowling, next to the orange juice at the grocery store, lined up behind the pharmacist's counter, and yet there hasn't been any desire to pick it up. It feels separate-from and for-others, and I like that.

It may be harder next month or in the next five minutes, but for right now, this moment, I'm equal to it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Wishing you the best of luck to keep going.
Congrats on one week!
Jen

Anonymous said...

Joe Walsh "One day at a time"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbFh_pD47k4

Mel said...

Thanks, Jen! Starting over ... but I think it will be even better down the line.

Aw, thanks, sugar. It's endlessly fascinating (and encouraging) to read/see others who have made the switch to sober living so unapologetically.