Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Promise


Promise it won't always be so hard.

Promise I can do this.

Promise this corner can be turned.

********

I read in someone's recent post (wish I could attribute - thank you if it was yours) that they always managed to take at least one thought away from every meeting. Tonight's meeting cemented something I've been thinking about this past week - namely, that I ought to get out there and become familiar with other meetings. More days, more times, more people.

This second meeting made me realize that while every group may be slightly different, the support and well-wishing is present whether the meeting is in Lansing, Houston, Chicago, or New York.

Again, I was blown away by the stories everyone shared and how willing they were to talk to a newcomer. One woman in particular struck up a conversation afterward and made sure I recognized my strengths while also pointing out where I will learn a few things. She never gave me a full head or frightened me, just made it clear that while the path may be rocky, I could make it with some help.

And that's exactly what I needed to hear.

2 comments:

Adamity73 said...

Yep. You'll always get at least something from a meeting. =o)

Mel said...

Adam, I like your profile picture! Meant to mention that earlier :)

Guess that will keep me going back, then! I expect some meetings will be dry or hot or boring as hell, but one little thing to bring away? I bet that can be done. Found a couple more meetings to round out the week.