Saturday, February 6, 2010

Example of alcoholic thinking

I devised a new strategy and made a checkmark on the calendar for February 2 before I'd even left the house in the morning. Resolve was strong. That will make it official. No drinking today. Tomorrow you can go back to making a checkmark after the day has passed, but let's get a pre-emptive check in there first.

Hmm. Had to cross that one out. Didn't count. Didn't make it through the day.

Okay, the next day then. Check!

No. Didn't take Antabuse, had some drinks. Had a lot of drinks, as a matter of fact. Cross it out.

Thursday? Well, I had half a pint left and that seemed like too much to simply throw away. I know! I'll finish it tonight and start fresh tomorrow! Good plan.

Oh, but Friday. It's Friday, after all. I should probably get some booze to replace what I finished. After all, friends are coming over, it's social, and I can start fresh on Monday. Or Sunday. But probably Monday.

2 comments:

Adamity73 said...

Um, yeah, Mel. =) That is *definitely* alcoholic thinking. I've done it myself many times. I've woken up feeling like a Mack truck ran me down and then, when the body had recovered enough (usually around three in the afternoon, or four) I'll say to myself, "Ahhh, a drink'll taste good after work." But for me, of course, it's never just "a" drink. It's more like 12 and then the cycle just continues, ad infintum. (I may have spelled that wrong, but you get the point.) I don't know...if you're like me, you'll have to completely abstain. Time will tell, though. Love you.

Mel said...

Love you, too.

If I don't take it first thing in the morning, if I have to stick it my pocket to let 12 hours pass, I'm screwed. Say I need to wait until 10:00 or so, by 9:00 I'm feeling perky and maybe I get distracted at work and the next thing I know it's noon and yep, a drink would taste mighty fine tonight. Maybe I will or maybe I won't, but there's that part of my brain counting beers in the fridge or checking the rum level and thinking, "Better make a stop on the way home." And then what do you know? There's stuff in the house! Wash, rinse, repeat.